Chapter 8 of the book is about media communities. Media communities (like Flickr and YouTube) are social sites where you can save, share, and comment on multimedia items. It is yet another way Internet users have found to connect with one another—by finding similar interests around images and videos.
In addition to increasing your exposure in the Social Web, adding your images and video to media communities can have other advantages. There are many open source applications that tap into the power of these sites to offer you a host of features you can add to your blog or Website, features like image and video galleries, portfolios, or sidebar widgets. With proper planning, you can even see better search engine placement for your images and video files by adding them to media communities.
The following excerpts are from A Survival Guide to Social Media and Web 2.0 Optimization: Strategies, Tactics, and Tools for Succeeding in the Social Web by Deltina Hay
Copyright 2009 by Deltina Hay. All rights reserved.
Image Sharing Strategy
- Get an account with the image community of your choice and fill out your profile completely. Remember that this may be the only chance you get to make an impression on potential clients or readers.
- Gather the images you can upload right away. This may include:
- Head shots of company principals
- Author photos
- Book covers
- Event photos
- Prepare a main key term list to use as tags for every image. This may be your company name, principal name, author name, book title, home city, etc.
- For each image you want to upload prepare:
- A list of key terms to use as tags in addition to your main key term list.
- A short title that uses at least two key terms.
- A description that uses several key terms.
- Use a form like the one below so you will be prepared when uploading images. (A fillable and printable version of this form is available on the resource CD [that comes with the book].)
- Pull images from your account onto your blog and/or Website
- As a badge or widget
- As an image gallery
- Connect with others by browsing images and commenting.
(Click on image to see a larger version.)
Beyond strategies for image and video sharing, this chapter includes real world examples of media communities in action, as well as ways you can use these communities to increase your search engine ranking. The resource CD offers linkable resources and a number of fillable PDF forms called “Image Sharing Strategy,” “Prep Form For Image Communities,” “Video Sharing Strategy,” and “Prep Form For Video Communities.”
A Survival Guide to Social Media and Web 2.0 Optimization: Strategies, Tactics, and Tools for Succeeding in the Social Web by Deltina Hay
416 Pages, Indexed, Resource CD with fillable forms.
Buy from Amazon or…
Exclusive offer for Social Media Power readers: $18.00 including US shipping:
If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing to the feed and get future articles delivered to your feed reader or email.